In celebration of National Lemon Crème Pie Day on November 29th, whisk away the fluff and try this hearty Shaker-style pie recipe that uses the WHOLE lemon, peel and all, but please remove the seeds. It’s a zesty departure from the display case variety; it’s meaty, succulent and quite a splendid tart. Tis’ the season to serve warm, with a side flute of dry champagne or espresso, depending on the time of day, or not! Recipe follows:
- 2 lemon thinly sliced, remove seeds
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 9-inch unbaked pie crust and a pastry dough topper
- Slice the lemons and combine in a large bowl with the 2 cups sugar. Let stand for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Add the beaten eggs and mix well. Pour into an unbaked 9-inch piecrust and cover with a top crust.
- Brush the top with milk and sprinkle granulated sugar on top. Add a few lemon slices for garnish.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees F and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the pie comes out clean.
Reference material taken from the following sources: Allrecipes.com, recipe by Susan Hissam
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.