Frequently Asked Questions

What is a conservation district?
A conservation district is a change in zoning that preserves an area’s distinctive atmosphere or character through architectural guidelines, development standards, and special zoning provisions including land uses and setbacks. Unlike historic district designation, which is highly restrictive, each conservation district ordinance is tailor-made to the neighborhood and what it collectively wants to conserve. See Conservation District vs. Historic District.

What are the benefits of becoming a conservation district?
The primary benefit is preserving the character, beauty and history of the neighborhood. Our conservation district ordinance is designed to encourage compatible remodeling and additions and to discourage the complete demolition of sound original homes.

What areas are included in the Kessler Park Conservation District?
Our district includes all of the Kessler Neighbors United area except for the Middlebrook and Highlands town home developments, and Kessler Lake. It includes the 2 original Kessler Park Additions, Kessler Square, Kessler Highlands, Sam Dealey Estates, Kessler Woods and Timbergrove Circle.  See map.

What are the sub-districts within the Kessler Park Conservation District?
Sub-Area 1: The 2 Kessler Park Additions, platted in 1924. Large revival style homes on irregular lots that follow the hilly terrain, built mostly in the 1920’s and 30’s.
Sub-Area 2: Kessler Square and Kessler Highlands platted in 1923. Charming revival-style cottages on smaller, regular lots, built mostly in the 1920’s and 30’s.
Sub-Area 3: Sam Dealey Estates, Kessler Woods & Timbergrove. These are post-WWII developments with many distinctive ranch and modern homes on larger lots.

How does the Conservation District affect current homeowners?
First, the conservation district requirements only apply when you make changes to the parts of your property that are visible from the street. All existing features are “grandfathered” and are not required to be changed in any way. Before doing any remodeling to the exterior of the house, demolishing a house or building new construction, residents must have their plans approved by the City’s Development Services Department. In partnership with the applicant, the Planning Department staff reviews applications to ensure that all proposals are consistent with the neighborhood and its ordinance.  Learn more.

Will I still be able to add on to my house?
Yes, within the confines of the requirements for your Sub-Area.

What are the specific guidelines for Kessler Park?
See the Matrix of Development Standards PDFs at the bottom of the Sub-Area page that applies to you.

What do I do if I see construction or alterations being made on the exterior of a house without the approved Work Review Form displayed?
First of all, call 311. This will get the inquiry on record and you will be given a Service Request Number (SR#) which allows you to track the response to your inquiry. You may also fill out a Service Request form online at City of Dallas.

If the issue is urgent, call the Code Compliance office at City Hall @ 214-670-7332. Generally, someone from Code Compliance will come out to check on an issue within the next 2 days.

If you see questionable work being done on the weekend without an approved Work Review Form posted, call 311 and ask for the supervisor for the Premise Abatement Team. They handle code compliance issues on weekends but will not be as knowledgeable about our Conservation District ordinance as our regular Code Compliance officer.

Will a conservation district increase or decrease my property values?
A conservation district can protect and possibly increase property values.