This E-Z seasonal recipe is sure to spice things up…
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 3 hours | Yield: 16 servings
This easy spiked hot apple cider recipe calls for a stock pot, apple juice, spices and the Captain, Morgan that is. So, let’s get started on this autumn booty…
- 1 gallon of unfiltered apple juice or apple cider
- 1 large orange, cut into 1/4” slices
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1” ginger root, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Captain Morgan spiced rum
- Garnish: orange slice, fresh cinnamon stick and sprig of thyme (option)
- In a large 10 qt dutch oven, stock pot or the likes, add apple juice, orange slices, cinnamon sticks, star anise, whole cloves, whole allspice, and ginger root. (If you have a spice ball, add clove and allspice to it. The cleanup is easier.)
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cover for 2-3 hours.
- Add rum to the apple cider mixture and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove fruit and spices from the pot.
- Garnish with orange slice, fresh cinnamon stick, an a sprig of thyme (optional)
Reference material taken in part from the following sources: joyfulheathyeats.com, Recipe by Krista